EPIC database (Electricity production information & capacity)
The objective of the EPIC Data Base is to offer a description by country
of the whole power sector considering both power plants belonging to the
public sector or assimilated and the units belonging to the autoproducers
(industrials or services, ...) if not restricted.
Information in the data base is included at unit level, considering all
of the units above 100 kWe.
Unit data include:
- Company data: company name and type. Three company
types are considered
- autoproducers (industrial or commercial enterprise producing
its own electricity) and
- private or independent producers.
- Plan data: location and country. When appropriate,
the location main contain information to facilitate sorting of the data
base (Greek islands for example)
- Unit data: data collected at unit size are related
- unit name,
- operating status (in operation, under development, planned, under
study, delayed and retired),
- size (gross and net power),
- type of fuel to be burn,
- year-on-line and year-off-line (if already known and available),
- type of equipment,
- associated production of heat,
- turbine type and model as well as generator type and model when
Due to the difficulty of data collection, coverage for wind turbine, mini-hydro,
diesel engine, gasmotor and micro-turbine is representative but not comprehensive
in many countries.
The EPIC Data base presents a dynamic view of the production park, that
means it contains the situation of that park for the last statistically
known year and a trace of all the major modifications occurred since the
reference year (mainly power and fuel modifications). In addition, all
other information’s related to the history of power plants (owner
change, ....) may be kept in a memo that can be consulted in the same
time as the basic data associated to the power plant.